Since you all seem to like the idea of themed menu pages, and I’ve already done 2 Mexican-inspired recipes this week, I thought I’d add this to the collection 🙂
Ingredients: (4-6 servings)
For The Chilli:
- 1 tin/small carton of Black Beans
- 1 tin of Chickpeas
- 1 tin of Red Kidney Beans
- 3 tbsp of Mild Chilli Powder
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped (or 1/2 tin Chopped Tomatoes)
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil (light, or alternatives, will be fine)
- 6 cups water
- Good Pinch of Salt
For the Quesadillas:
- 4 Large Tortillas (any type, I use wholemeal)
- 2 cups of Cheese (basic grated Cheddar is enough, but you can crumble in any feta, goat, or similar cheese)
- Drain and rinse all the beans and pulses
- Add all Chilli ingredients to a Slow Cooker on Med-High for 4 hours or simmer on a stove for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with Brown Rice or Sweet Potato Mash (and Quesadillas of course)
- Lightly oil a frying pan or griddle and place a Tortilla on it
- Sprinkle over it 1 cup of Cheese and then add the second Tortilla
- When the base Tortilla starts to crisp up, flip the Quesadilla and cook on other side until crisp and the cheese has melted (only takes a minute)
- Repeat with other Tortillas and slice into wedges.
Tips and Variations:
- Change up the beans: Replace any beans with any other, like pinto, butter beans, black-eyed beans….enjoy a variety.
- Add fresh ingredients to top the Chilli when serving: some leafy herbs or baby Spinach, sour cream or thick natural yogurt, chopped spring onions.
- Quesadillas make great toasties on their own and you can add toastie fillings such as ham or grilled veggies to make them even tastier.
- This can all be done on a campfire or Barbeque too! (Although if barbeque is at home it’s easier to do the Chilli on stove and keep it warm on the grill.) Quesadillas just need assembling and wrapping in lightly greased foil to cook for about 10 minutes (5 each side).
Enjoy the fiesta/summer barbeque with this one! x
4 thoughts on “Veggie Chilli and Quesadillas”
Gona try the chilli 😊
Sent from my Windows Phone
LikeLiked by 1 person