After church today, we went into a local surf shop and invested some money in some new gear: Teenager needed new wetsuit (Ladies small!! My baby looks way too grown up!) and both her and daddy needed new body-boards (that’s hers in the photo). I try to use the local shops and I’m glad we did 50% off!! 🙂
So this got me thinking, when and how to invest in stuff for activities?
So here are my tips:
- Try before you buy: Don’t buy anything until you’ve tried the activity and know you like it, can do it and are able to afford it long-term.
- Shop for bargains: Depending on what you’re buying, sometimes big chain stores have best bargains and sometimes your local specialist….we got a great deal today, but the hiking boots I bought last year were way cheaper online than in town, so it pays to check both!
- Look after what you’ve got: Mr.B had wetsuit and surf shoes in shed, but his board got damaged when we moved so we had to replace that. Cheaper to buy waterproofing spray for boots or rust-proof spray for bikes than to buy all new equipment!
- Weigh up the investment: As they were all half price Mr.B splurged on a new wetsuit but it is a longer and warmer one than he has, so it will extend the season he can use the board, so as we were well within budget (because it was half price! Did I say that already? 😉 ) he could have it. If it had taken us over budget or been really expensive, we wouldn’t have bought it.
- Know it’s limits: How long will it last? Hubby will have his for years but teenager may have hers only this season as I don’t think she’s finished growing yet! (She has biggest size board now though so that should last, phew!)
(Blessed with many beautiful, surfer-friendly beaches like this nearby 🙂 )
So have you got any exciting plans to while away the summer? Do you have an investment you’ve made that will enhance your summer? Let me know in the comments section below.
Thanks, enjoy the rest of your weekend peeps! x
3 thoughts on “Summer Plans”