A few quick ‘recipes’ if I can even call some of them that! These are my favourite super-easy snacks and light lunches (some are healthier than others though!)
Fruit n Egg:
One toasted teacake (or 2 slices fruit bread toasted) with butter, topped with scrambled egg and served with orange juice (Vitamin C in orange helps you absorb iron from egg yolk.) For scrambled eggs: whisk 2 eggs with 1 tbsp milk and a pinch of pepper (only add salt if using unsalted butter) fry in lightly oiled pan, stirring continuously….Love the egg and currant thing!
If I’m feeling good I’ll make a small portion for the top of one slice of bread…but quite often it’s 2 (to make it lunch).
Basically, a couple of tablespoons each of grated cheese and carrot and then a tablespoon each of everything else you’d possibly want in a cheese salad….I usually use sweetcorn, black beans and finely chopped red pepper, but can also include; a few red onion rings, apple and/or sultanas, finely diced cucumber…..the sky’s the limit!
Then add a tbsp of dressing (salad cream or half mayo, half ketchup are my preferred options) stir and serve on the bread…with a knife & fork….and probably a napkin!
Any of these Tortilla recipes . Mr.B isn’t keen on soft tortillas, but even he loves the Tostadas!
- 5oz/125g Butter or Margarine
- 4oz/100g Soft Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup (mmmm….yummy!)
- 10oz/250g Porridge Oats (rolled oats)
- Melt butter, sugar and syrup together in a saucepan (low heat) and keep stirring until all dissolved.
- Turn off heat and stir in oats (you can also add 2oz dried fruit at this stage if you wish).
- Put mixture in a greased 9″/20cm brownie pan and spread out to 1″/2.5cm thick
- Bake at 180C/GM4 for 30 mins until golden on top.
- Cut into squares and let it cool.
Sweet or Savoury Swirls always good to have on standby and can be frozen!
Have a yummy, sunny day peeps! xx
4 thoughts on “Snacks, Treats and Light Bites”