Great fun and so easy to make with kids, you can match a colour scheme and you can make them for any occasion (Christmas and a fairy themed party as I seem to recall)…Have fun!
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz butter
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice (optional)
- 10 boiled sweets (of your choice in colour)
- Ribbon for hanging (optional)
- Rub butter into flour (and spice, if using) until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add milk and sugar and knead into dough
- Wrap and chill until needed (or at least 15 mins)
- Roll it out on a floured surface and cut shapes out
- Cut a hole using a smaller cutter or knife (I use wide end of biggest icing nozzle) and a small hole near the top for hanging
- Place on greased/lined baking sheet and add a boiled sweet to each hole
- Bake in oven at 180C/GM4 for 10-15 mins until golden and sweet has melted.
- When cool you can thread ribbon through and hang them up if you wish (great for Christmas decorating or treasure hunts!)
- This is one of the rare occasions I will use baking parchment as it makes lifting them so much easier…made these once and cracked nearly all of them trying to remove them from pan with a fish slice!
- Don’t make holes too near the edge or cookie mix will split.
- If you have really large sweets or want to mix colours, you can crush sweets first so they can be evenly spread out.
- Change it up with a different cookie dough, use gingerbread or orange zest mix, for example…experiment! 🙂