My lovely hubby bought me a slow cooker recipe book……. mmmm yum! (and such a time-saver on busy days!)
So I thought I’d plan next week’s groceries to include a new recipe: This Potato, Apple and Bacon Hotpot seems like something my family would eat!
- 750g/1.5lbs Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 25g/1oz Butter
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 250g/8oz Bacon (recipe suggests smoked back bacon)
- 1 apple cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 450ml/ 3/4pint Chicken Stock
- 2tsp English Mustard
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 50g/2oz Cheddar, grated
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Tomato halves, grilled (optional to serve)
- Put oil and butter in a frying pan, add onions and bacon. fry for 5 mins or until just golden.
- Stir in apple, flour and season (S & P), mix well so flour isn’t clumpy
- Layer potato slices in the slow cooker with a layer of bacon and apple mix, repeat layers ending with potatoes on top.
- Bring stock to the boil (if using an instant stock, you can do this in the frying pan you just used) and stir in mustard….add to the slow cooker.
- Add Bay leaves and cook on low for 9-10 hours (or medium if your slow cooker is as tired as mine!)
- When ready to serve, remove the pot from slow cooker, top the potatoes with cheese and place under a preheated grill (broiler).
- Spoon into shallow bowls and serve with tomatoes, if desired.
If you like the sound of this, the recipe book it came from can be found here.
Happy Munching Peeps!