Firstly, apologies for the 2 blogless days this week…had a major toothache, but better now, so you’re stuck with me again. 😉
Wanted to offer some tips today for travelling with the kiddos. So let’s go:
- Keep an Emergency Kit in the car. First Aid bits, water (can be used for the car washer/cooling system or even to drink if you’re stuck) and a blanket in case you have to stop in the cold. (Obviously, this is in addition to the car stuff you should always carry like a jack, caution sign, etc…but those aren’t kid-specific.)
- Change of Clothes and/or a towel: Especially with young children who may have potty training and snack-handling issues, but also useful for impromptu paddling! 🙂 Unless you live somewhere scorching, a raincoat is a useful addition too! (Just check the sizes regularly as kids grow fast and your supplies may need an upgrade.)
- Food! Snacks and drinks are essential if you’re going any distance. The teenager didn’t travel well in the mornings when she was a nipper, so we always had plain crackers and water on-hand. Periodic snacks on a long ride also give them something to do and stop us parents from paying service station prices for snacks.
- Clean-up Items: Wet wipes, sanitizer gel, bandanas or napkins…whatever you take, you will use it at some point!
- Stuff To Do: The list is endless, but my favourites are: CD for sing-alongs, an electronic game or DVD (limited to about an hour…episode DVDs are good…we watched a lot of Duck Tales in the car!), colouring or activity books, a list or game to spy things (red cars, landmarks, birds…whatever’s appropriate for where you are)…there are many more. What’s your favourite car-journey activity?
So there are some ideas to get you going, I hope they help. As an aside note, I’ve seen organising videos on YouTube where they buy £1/$1 baskets to keep stuff in and always have some bag or box for rubbish…which is an awesome idea and just recently I saw nice baskets with handles in Poundworld that would be great for this.
I’ve waffled enough, have a good one peeps!